Monday, April 9, 2018

The Thing About Thread

I cannot offer a master class on thread.  If I have questions I turn to Superior threads and their great chart.  Of course it is only for Superior threads, which are excellent threads.  I have one store an hour away that carries some of their threads, but I often have to order from the company.  They have thread cards with actual samples so you can accurately judge colors, for a price of course.  However, I also use threads that are more available in the stores.  In the end you have to choose what you like and what will look best on your quilt.

On my current quilt I am using Isacord (polyester).  I was stitching away having a great time and very pleased with the results using Isacord on top and Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin.  When I had a thread that wouldn't pull to the top, I turned the quilt over and almost cried:  the tension was wacko.  I had those little thread pokies on every sharp turn of my feathers, and the micro-stippling (silk and Bottom Line) looked like a starry sky on the back because there were so many pokies that were long. This happens when the upper tension is too loose so the bobbin pulls the upper thread visibly to the back.  I tightened the tension and played with it a bit on my sample scrap, but it didn't help.  Re-threading the machine and changing the needle was no help either.  Next I spoke to my professional quilter daughter who suggested I put cotton in the bobbin.  So I put the quilt away for 24 hours!

Thread pokies on the back of the quilt. Anathema to judges.

Next day, fresh and ready to tackle the problem I ripped out the stippling and used Aurafil cotton thread top and bottom.  Not only was normal tension fine, it looked so much better.  The stippling texture is more visible now than it was with silk on top and I really like the way it looks both front and back, even though it is black on black on the front.

The tiny feathers were next.  The front looked fine, but the back was too sloppy to suit me.  I still want to use Isacord because I love the sheen, so I decided to use it both top and bottom.  Beautiful!  I'll have to do some ripping, but it will be worth it.

Quilt back.  Stippling redone and good.
Feather imperfections circled in white:  pokie, bump, loop.

TIP:  This is strictly my own opinion.  I was told by my machine dealer that Bottom Line has a little elasticity and when it relaxes after being stretched in the stitching process it puts too much tension on the top thread and pulls it through.  I haven't talked to the Superior Thread company, but if I use Bottom Line again I will do a more thorough test run before stitching my quilt.  Isacord is not a Superior brand thread and my machine is clearly unhappy when I try to match it with Bottom Line.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you no tension mismatches, no bumps, loops or pokies.







8 comments:

  1. Oh, the dreaded eyelashes and nests, I can so relate! I do like Superior threads but Aurafil makes my machines very happy. May I share a link to your post on my blog (www.fiberdesignsbyann.com)? I'm planning to write a bit about this topic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my post will help, by all means link to it. Are you just starting your blog? I went there and it was empty.

      Delete
    2. Please be aware that this may be an idiosyncrasy of my machine.

      Delete
  2. Interesting about the bottom line not playing well with the isacord. I try to use the same thread top and bottom but then end up with so many bobbins partly full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience was also that matching the thread top and bottom works best, although I know I have had even teachers swear by
    Bottom Line in the bobbin only. Of course, I am doing a lot of hand stitching these days so I can avoid the frustration altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sit down mid-arm Babylock Tiara and experiment all the time with different threads in the bobbin and on top. I've had great results with Bottom Line in the bobbin most of the time, but sometimes use Aurifil too. Even your batting and needle size can affect how the threads work, so you always have to keep trying to find the combination that works. My local quilt shop carries Floriani poly thread and my machine loves it with Aurifil in the bobbin.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...