Monday, April 23, 2018

My Talking Quilt

Do you have conversations with your quilt?  I do.  Sometimes my side of the conversation needs some cleaning up, but we do converse.  When I stitch nicely my quilt dances.  When I try to go my own way my quilt chastises me.

I draw my designs out on tracing paper, but I forgot something.  I filled in all the spaces and it looked so nice on paper, but when I began to stitch I realized that if I fill all those spaces with stitches, there will be no puff.  Empty spaces don't look good on paper, but they look beautiful on a quilt.  My quilt agrees, "YES!"  See below.  I filled one side with the pebbles, but the remaining un-quilted sides showed me that the fill was no good.  Have you ever ripped out pebbles?

Pebbles = No Puff
My designs are drawn with pencil on paper that is basically white so there are still thread color choices to make.  I thought I had them all worked out, but the quilt disagreed.  I have tried all ideas and threads on the scrap sandwich, but it is different when translated to the actual quilt.

Here is our conversation regarding the latest motif:

Quilt:  "Get rid of the black thread.  It makes me feel dirty and depressed." (no photo)

Me:  "OK.  It is gone.  I will use red."

The upper motif is filled with red and a diagonal grid.
Quilt:  "Ick.  It doesn't show.  Now I feel completely invisible.  I know you didn't plan on using orange thread, but I think that is the answer to make me feel alive.  The diagonal grid is bad."

Me:  "OK.  Red is gone.  I give up.  Orange it is and I'll change the grid."

Quilt:  "I LOVE it.  Now I can dance. I can fly. I will be noticed.  I love being surrounded by gold.  I feel like a queen."

Success!  You can't see the puff on the lower motif, but it makes a nice frame.
(photo slightly distorted)
I was ripping out the curved, diagonal grid (see the other photo) on the upper motif and noticed that the vertical seam in the middle really disrupted puff.  I changed the grid to vertical instead of diagonal with the center grid line on the seam, and worked out to the sides.  Now the seam doesn't even show.  The gold metallic pebbles don't shine in the photo, but they are a real WOW factor.

TIP:  Keep your seam ripper, scissors and tweezers close at hand.  Don't be lazy and leave it if the quilt begins to scream at you.  The more you ignore the quilt's conversation the more ripping, or the less you will love your quilt.

I hate to rip as much as the next person, but I will continue to do so if it doesn't look right.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you perseverance to achieve your goals.


10 comments:

  1. You are hysterical. No, I haven't ripped out pebbling yet but that's only because I've not been brave enough to do any pebbling on a real quilt yet, only on practice pieces that don't matter. My pebbles look like lumpy little rabbit turds. My quilts say things to me like, "Not YOU again; seriously?! Aren't there any REAL quilters available?!" Hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there and keep at it. It is so true that only with practice will you get better with your quilting. Keep trying new designs.

      Delete
  2. No ripping out quilted pebbles here. Isn't it amazing the difference color and line direction can make. Thanks for sharing your experience and examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take much between OK and Spectacular. You just need the right combination. I hope you never have to rip pebbles or stippling. Both are nasty.

      Delete
  3. I've ripped out pebbles, McTavishing...you name it, I've probably ripped it! I've found that if I rip from the back, it is usually easier. I love it when my quilt talks to me and tells me what it wants! I have one quilt that is currently off the frame because it just refuses to tell me what background it wants! In my earlier years of quilting, I put a quilt on the frame 3 times before it talked to me (frustrating thing!). This quilt is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My quilt has remained silent long enough. Thank goodness it has begun to talk!

      Delete
  4. I've never ripped out pebbling, it would take forever! But I always use it when I want the space next to it to pop out. To get even more puffiness, I've used a layer of wool batting on top and a layer of cotton or poly on the bottom. Are you using variegated thread, or do you keep changing your threads to different colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of pebbles and use them often. I am not using a double batt, but have done so on other quilts. This one is going to be quite flat so, with that in mind I decided against the extra weight of two batts. I am using wool. I am using lots of different colored thread so am constantly changing them. I try to be efficient, but sometimes it is impossible.

      Delete
  5. There are few things worse than unpicking machine quilting. Good for you for staying true to your standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do want it to be as perfect as I can make it, but I am so human.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...