Monday, January 29, 2018

Multiple Projects

I am one of those apparently unusual people who does not accumulate UFOs.  I generally like to finish one project before starting another, but am not fanatical about it.  This week I began to tear out the paper from paper piecing.  Thirty-six intricate blocks takes a fair amount of time.  I chose to do it in the evening while watching Amazon Prime movies.  Some of those movies are pretty bad, but they prevent the paper tearing from getting so boring.  It is not fun, like sewing.  I also had to run out to get more black fabric.

This left me with a hole in my days when I usually sew, so I started the portrait of our long deceased collie.  Scroll down a couple of weeks to see my tutorials on the process.  I have been going back and forth between projects, applying borders on the big quilt and finding fault with the dog.  I did the dog with stash fabrics and could have benefitted from a couple of fat quarters from the quilt shop.  Some areas needed a slight value change so I pulled out my acrylic paints.  Most of the bottles are now defunct.

Note to self:  Clean out that box and get rid of dead paint.

I had enough viable bottles to mix a nice, soft blue-gray to darken up some areas as needed.  I love the result.  It softens the harsh line where black and white fabric meet.  It adds some shadow where needed.  I like it so much that I am going to do some more to soften edges (more obvious when you can stand back to look at it).  Thread painting would do the job, but I don't want to quilt this so heavily.  It doesn't need it.  I have read that others have used acrylic paint so why not.  I applied it in a very thin coat, and I don't plan to wash this little quilt.

See the gray on the white next to black?  Not much
but enough.
I am eager to get to quilting it, but will do the background first.  I took a picture of Lady lying in front of a big fan on a hot day.  She looks like she is flying and her fur is being blown around.  I will quilt the flying fur on top of the finished background so it will show up nicely.

TIP:  Be flexible with both time and process.  Take your time testing something new.  I have Tsukineko Inks.  I have Inktense pencils.  I have PaintStix.  Using scrap fabrics I tried them all, but like the result with the acrylic paints the best.  It is subtle.

I will also put a tiny, white dot in her eye, a catchlight.  It will brighten the eye and make it look alive.  In this case only on her right eye.  The left eye is almost hidden and the catchlight would be in the wrong place and look funny.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you many successful projects separately or all together whatever is your style.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Mardi,
    What a lovely tribute to a lovely dog. I think your painting technique looks perfect and I can just imagine the small dot in the eye. I would think you might be able to set the paint from the wrong side with an iron? Then you would be able to wash this when desired. I can't wait to see how you quilt and finish it off. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. l have been thinking about heat setting, but it is already sandwiched. However, I think I can do it from the front through a pressing sheet. I think I will. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Love your term catchlight! I call them glints, but yours is more descriptive

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat and inspiring art quilt and lovely memory of your furry baby. I paint a lot on fabric (and love it), in my experience acrylic holds well to fabric without heat setting, especially if done in light/thin washes. I look forward to seeing this piece finished. I found you by way of Off The Wall Fridays blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The light grey shading is just the right touch and it blends in like fur. This will be such a special tribute to your dear dog. I don't know how large it will be, but as a wall hanging it would certainly not need washing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! What a beautiful dog but of course collies are. I lost my collie 2 years ago. They are the most loyal gentle souls. Your project is coming along beautifully. The white eye dot is a little thing but really brings any portrait to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally treated myself to Carol Doak's foundation paper. Goes through the printer without a hitch. Tears away without leaving those pesky bits under the stitches or pulling out stitches.

    Love the progress you have made with your homage to Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter uses Carol Doak's paper and loves it. I am going to try for my new PP project. Cheaper. Tears our more easily. Looks good. I'm glad to hear positive from another piecer.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...