Saturday, October 14, 2017

To Laugh or To Cry

Are you a person who tends to laugh or do you cry when things go wrong?  Believe me, it pays to be a laugher.  Laughing is good for the soul, the brain, and the body.  Wouldn't you rather have laugh lines on your face as you age instead of frown lines?  You will get lines on your face someday.  Ask me how I know!

I finished the major portion of my quilt top.  It is 42" square with a very complex design, which will sit on point as the major attraction.  I can't remember how big it will be when finished...about 50-60 inches I think.  We'll see as it develops.  I am not hung up on size, but it will be a wall hanging.

Day of finish:  I put it up on my design wall to admire.

Day 1 post finish:  Look at that fussy cut triangle: it 's backwards!  Oh, good grief.  Thank goodness it is a small isosceles triangle cut from batik. One hour to remove, press, turn over and stitch back in.  Ah good.

Day 2 post finish:  What is that brownish mark on the pale turquoise piece?  I tried to wash it out, but finally decided it was a scorch mark.  How on earth did that get there?  There wasn't any glue or starch in that spot.  It was just on the fabric.  This must be repaired, so I ripped out the offending piece and put in a fresh piece of fabric.  One hour.  Ah good!

Isn't that just sickening?
Day 3 post finish:  Oh my gosh...there are two more scorch marks in a different place.  What is going on?  This time I figured it out.  My Clover mini-iron is on the end of my ironing table.  While I was fixing yesterday's scorch, the quilt top must have landed on the tiny iron and gotten re-scorched.  Two more pieces to rip out and replace.  Ninety minutes down the drain.  All irons have been moved to a tiny wooden table near the ironing surface, but out of the way.  I think this will be permanent as I am always scorching me as well as my quilt.  I am so thankful that the little iron didn't cause the quilt top to burst into flame.  That's better.

New setup for my irons.  Cords reach the ironing table and plug
into a power bar on the table leg to the right in the photo.
Day 4 post finish:  I can't believe it:  the upper left corner block is turned 180º.  Check the other corners.  They are all in the correct orientation.  How long have I had this quilt on the design wall?  How many times have I checked it out critically?  How could I have missed this glaring error?  I told DH and we both had a good belly laugh.  That's the problem with complex designs.  It has been a challenge to make the blocks properly as well as to orient them in the right direction.  Thirty minutes to rip, turn and re-stitch.  Looking good.

It is done!  It had better be done! Tired and silly.  Thank heavens for glue basting.  It really saved the day and allowed me to insert the new pieces gracefully.   I am ready to move on.  There is a little more piecing to do beyond this center part, but it will be easier and quicker.

TIP:  You have to laugh when your quilt plays tricks on you.  Life is too short to cry.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time for fun and laughter.



5 comments:

  1. Goodness! You are right--better to laugh than cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I admire you for choosing to laugh. By about the third mishap, I'd be yelling (yelling at fabric is about the only yelling I ever do, thank goodness, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mardi,
    I am a laugher. Oh how often I have had a similar conversation with myself - just yesterday piecing a poinsettia for a QAL. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a laugher too. It's good these little things were caught before the quilting commenced! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a string of unfortunate events! Yes, I also try to laugh rather than cry at stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...