Sunday, March 19, 2017

Stepping Out

Last week I suggested you try something new so I followed my own advice and changed the order of binding my quilt.  I wanted a small feather to meander on the one-inch border of the quilt.  I had to be very careful not to stitch where the binding would cover the quilting.  That's a tall order on such a narrow binding.  I decided to stitch the binding on first and do the quilting after that, but I didn't hand stitch it to the back.  I'll do that later.

When you do a lot of heavy quilting you will notice that the unquilted outer edges get a bit ruffled.  This is natural and normal, but can cause problems.  I was worried about potential puckers when I sewed the binding on.  For the umpteenth time I watched Sharon Schamber's video on applying a straight binding.  She glues every step of the way, so I did, and that stabilized the fabric, which allowed me to lay the binding down without puckers or pleats before stitching.  It also stiffened it, which made the sewing easier and more accurate.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I realized that I had achieved success.

TIP:  If you are fussy, I highly recommend Sharon Schamber's U-tube tutorial on bindings.  If you show your quilts it is a must see.

Now, the binding was on and I had to quilt that narrow border.  There was still some excess fabric with which to contend, but I dove in and quilted one side.  Wow!  All excess fabric quilted out perfectly and filled the feathers.  Not all my trials turn out so well so I am dancing the happy dance.

Excess fabric at left.  Quilted border on right.  Unfinished binding on outer edge.

Note the double freezer paper pattern in the back.  That is for marking the spine of the feathers.  The feathers themselves I quilted freehand.

(The safety pin is a reminder that I need to restitch that spot.  You can't see it, but the stitching is ragged and there is a visible knot.  That is a quick and easy re-do.)

TIP:  You don't have to be as fussy as I am, but I spent a lot of time designing and sewing this quilt.  I will definitely be showing it.  If you want to win anything you have to be fussy and binding is a critical issue among the judges.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you success in a new endeavor.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your efforts to insure a straight binding were well worth it! Good luck in your competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it when things turn out well! Good luck on this quilt when it gets shown. Thanks again for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...